Good Practice when using Android 6.o Ebook eReader
Tips to Prolong eReader Battery Lifespan
Tips and Tricks by Amtech Digital
A big welcome to you for joining us into digital reading, one step closer to paperless world.
Android eReader is way much better than those lock down eReader, there are so many reading apps to install from Goggle Play Store, even 3rd parties’ open SDK apps, or Kindle Apps, Kobo Apps, Aldiko Book Reader, Cool Reader, FBReader,
Moon+ Reader…, NOOK, Bluefire Reader, Mantano Reader Lite….. the list goes on… because of too many options available, you may need some tips for how to navigate along on your way, especially now we have the world’s 1st Android 6 eReader.
Note : The Number one question by customer in Singapore is alway, “Can I install OverDrive to borrow ebook from the National Library?”, the Answer is ‘Of course, you can!!!!” And Why not?
But, you need to take good care of the eReader when you are doing a lot of “online digital reading”!
You might be wondering what you can do to make sure your eReader battery works for a longer time (which will, in turn, make sure your eReader performance doesn’t degrade).
If your eReader battery is already degraded, you can get a replacement from Onyx International or Ali Express for replacement at ‘your own risk’. Why,?? Because inside is so fragile.
Take a good first step - “The first step is the best step in a journey towards a pleasant digital reading experience.
Take note about our eReader’s Power Management method. There is rational behind this design.
Please ensure you have follow these three options
a) Under Setting – Power – Auto Sleep – 30 mins
b) Power off Timeout – Never (if you have auto on/off cover)
c) Network Inactivity Timeout – 15 mins (if you read a lot from wifi-apps)
We have season customers claim that the eReader shut down automatically after few hours of reading, due to? Yes… the machine knows to rest, and it shut and restart to be Cool!
This will make sure your eReader do not overload, eg, if you read from Kindle apps, with wifi on, and running 8 sets of White Led lighting, the eReader will become very hot after continuously for over 4-6 hours of online reading, this will long term damage the processors and mother board. Our warranty will consider this to be ‘User misuse’, making the warranty void.
However, always good to follow above tips to increase the battery lifespan of your eReader.
Battery Life vs Battery Lifespan Here’s how we define battery life and battery lifespan:
“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced.
Here are the 10 tips to prolong your eReader’s battery lifespan so you don’t run into performance issues.
Read more: How to Check eReader Battery Health in simple easy ways
1. Reduce Brightness Open Control Center and reduce the brightness. If possible, dim the screen completely. Try not to use full brightness at all times. Over time, this will reduce the stress on your battery.
2. Use Auto Brightness If you’ve disabled Auto Brightness, enable it again from Menu -> Dual Lighting Menu -> - …. + -> Adjust Display. Use middle setting, you’ll end up saving battery life.
3. Reduce Auto-Lock Time Auto-Lock feature automatically turns off the screen (and locks your phone) when you’re not actively using it. Go to Settings -> Display & Brightness -> Auto-Lock and choose the 30-seconds option. This way, your phone won’t unnecessarily use the battery when you’re looking at it.
4. Use Wi-Fi When Possible Wi-Fi uses way less energy than cellular radio. When possible, try to use Wi-Fi instead of Cellular data. From Control Center, tap on the Wi-Fi toggle to turn on the feature.
5. Use Low Power Mode iOS prompts you to enable Low Power Mode when your phone hits 20%. You can turn it on manually right after fully charging your phone. Low Power Mode saves energy by disabling background processes and throttles your CPU to deliver more battery life.
When you use Low Power Mode, you’re not pushing the battery at all times. This reduces the chances of degrading your battery quickly.
6. Don’t Use eReader in Extreme Temperatures, such as under Hot Sun directly. We all know e-ink is the best reading screen under direct sunlight at the beach, but, sometimes extreme temperature will kill the mother board if you are using all LED light on, WIFI running in the background and Audio set to highest pitch!!!! Wah La, gone in 1 month!
Our devices function best between 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C). Extreme cold and heat might affect the battery and motherboard negatively and it might degrade faster.
7. Tips for Storing eReader for Long Term - NOTE for non Book Worm Readers!!!! When you’re going to store your eReader for a long time, Apple recommends you only charge it till 50%. Don’t keep the eReader idle for a long time with a full charge or a zero charge. If the battery is fully charged, you might end up shortening the battery life. If the battery is empty, it might fall into deep discharge state which renders it incapable of holding a charge.
8. Charging Tips A Lithium-ion battery’s health depends on how it was charged. Heat and overcharging degrade eReader’s battery life. If you’re using a thick rugged case, or a battery case, make sure you remove it when charging the phone. Because these cases are bulky, they trap in the heat, which is not good for the battery.
Also, try using slow chargers. While you can use a 60W to 200W charger on your eReader to charge it faster (the difference isn’t that big either), it’s best to use the 5W charger that come with some mobile phones. If you’re charging your eReader overnight, the speed difference won’t matter.
You should also avoid leaving your eReader in the car while running errands as the interiors of the car can get very hot if it is a sunny day, which can negatively impact its battery and mother board.
9. Other Tips Make sure you’re not running betas or old firmware on your eReader and avoid installing the first release of a new firmware version. Usually, the bugs get squashed in a couple of weeks after release. Disable Background App Refresh and location access for apps that don’t need it.
10. Do not leave your eReader alone on the shelf to collect dust! Static from the dust will make your eReader sick!
We’ve will talked about other ways to increase your eReader life in next post.
Enjoy your digital reading.